Folks,

Jens: \:\)

I apologize to some for taking a day or two off from typing, and for the majority who really enjoyed the rest, I most sincerely apologize for returning.

Bunker-mania strikes the minds of Scandinavia! We have all heard of Jutland of course mostly due to the great and decisive naval battle of WW1 that bears the name. Although some might argue who got the short end of the belaying pin in that battle the fact is that Germany's fleet never did sally forth again after that one. Were it not for the early U-boats Britain would have completely ruled the waves.

The Atlantic Wall and "Festung Europa" is certainly well known. Also the crumbling, vine encrusted bunkers of the Pacific islands have given up their secrets to photographers's cameras. All of that has been turned into a war memorial and in the case of Normandy is a huge tourist attraction I guess. Finding NAZI bunkers in Denmark is quite interesting. One wonders what might one day be uncovered by the shifting sands of so many other beaches across the globe?

As for that reinforced concrete, well, when a justifiably vengeful people are trying their damnedest to drop explosives on your coal scuttle helmet or pierce your thin hide with very large bullets, then that would tend to make one far more careful in how one constructs a place of shelter. The big boss had his final shelter dug far under ground and I understand that most of that is a car park today. I've read that some of it, unlike the less well constructed Volks houses about town, has actually survived to this day. I have no doubt that those poor volk living in Berlin or Dresden or wherever might have looked toward a sky grown black with enemy bombers and wished for a bit more thickness over their own pointy heads.

Since the Danes are well noted for their unpleasantness toward all invaders, which way exactly were those bunkers facing? ;\)


Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019