Before good Fittop admits to what possibly amounts to an attempt at justifiable homicide, let us consider his courage at making 23 knots in a 22 foot sailing craft. Perhaps that was with the centerboard up, if there was one, just to male it interesting. I wonder if he had a spinnaker flying? You know, one of those huge, colorful, balloon sails you've seen on TV for sailing off the wind (from a reaching course to a downwind). For you lubbers (like me) that would be with the wind 90 degrees and minus 180 degrees off the bow. They are also called a "kites" or a "Chute." OK, I'm not much of a sailor. Certainly not like my dad. I'd guess the big spinnakers would be for larger craft than 22 feet, long, now that i think on it. I heard that remark MG! At least I knew the word "spinnaker." That puts me "one up" on most of you fellows.
Fittop, next fine day, you get on out there and shove off. Batten down the mizzen mast, belay the bilge water, and if she rolls 45 degrees, (especially in calm weather) poop the deck. Though a thousand might not, I'll sail with you Cap'n Fittop. I be yer first mate Jolly Roger. We'll 'round the Horn together in a force 10 gale with 50 foot seas an the wind howling like the damn cat who sleeps under my bed. So great will be your skill that we won't even need oilskins to keep us dry. Nothing like a force 10 gale with fifty foot waves to get your blood running hot and your britches filled. Arrrrr!. BTW fellows, you've already read his confession; so if I do not return look into it, if you please.
I can certainly see how a pleasant day (It is pouring rain here.) might cause the owner of such a trim little craft to dream of a red sky at night, scudding clouds, a billowing sail and a white, bubbling wake. Can't you just taste the fish crap in the water as it splashes in your face? No need to spit into the wind Cap'n. Why the sour face? Here, wipe yer teeth with me extra drawers Cap'n. Mind the yeller spot there. I use that so's I know which way they goes on, ya see.
We better keep weather eye about us, for thar be monsters in the deep 'round here. Lookee thar Cap'n, I think I spotted a whale off the starboard bow. Nope, sorry, Cap'n, it was just Olga taking her usual 25 mile after dinner swim. No, she never got the cramps as far as I know. But then it might be hard to tell with Olga, Cap'n Fittop, she has that kinda cramped look on her face all the time. At least she does when she sees me.
Last edited by Jolly Roger Two; 04/04/1712:21 AM. Reason: not enough colorful words
Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044
"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"
CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019