Thank you kindly for anchoring us once again more firmly if not permanently upon a less fanciful and sober reality. IMHO however, and with all due respect, anything conceived of by the fertile mind of man may one day become a reality for good or for ill. Truly, it ain't gonna happen any time soon. I'm pretty sure of that and I did add the caveat "may".
What we're talking about here gentlemen is saving and reconstituting, as far as I can see, no less than what is referred to by many as the soul. We are talking about the very essence of a human being. The stored abilities, lifetime knowledge and experiences, Id, Ego and Super-Ego of a sentient being.
A hundred seventy five years ago, say in 1840, we'd probably be gathered 'round a red hot stove in a general store somewhere just chewing the fat. Back then none of us would believe man would ever be able to fly as we can today. Put a man of 1840 here today and he might be completely bewildered. Hmmmm. Put one of us back in 1840 without a computer and cell phone and we'd be lost. But wouldn't we have a tale to tell them! No one woud believe us.
Huge breakthroughs in science can be just one small discovery, one small piece of a giant puzzle away. Man's knowledge feeds on itself, one idea, a new discovery, a new fact informs yet another and that feeds still another. Who can really say what may happen tomorrow or the next day or what may be the reality of a distant tomorrow. Hell, we don't even know everything that has been discovered and secreted away from us by our own governments right now. Remember that quote I recently typed from Dr. Branowski? To apply it here: What we believe to be possible or impossible today is based purely on the availability and competence of the technology of today.
Extracting consciousness from one body and placing it into a receptacle of some sort, perhaps another cloned body is the only way that I can, at least at the moment, even conceive of the human animal achieving any kind of immortality. Of course, as I think on that immortality business, I can hear the haunting strains of the soundtrack from the original "Highlander" movie playing in my own, at present, doomed consciousness. Remember "Who wants to live forever" by Queen? Who wants to indeed?
Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044
"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"
CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019