Folks,

We have another overcast and breezy day today. Our current temp at 11:30 AM is 67°F. / 20° C. with a cool 6 MPH breeze blowing from the NW.

This Russian Blue cat that is not especially particular about how I spell her name can be naughty but at times she really pleases. Today, she has come to terms with the wind as it no longer whistles or howls. Something outside the open window caught her eye. I watched as she reared up on her hind feet and stretched her neck so she could see outside without jumping in the open window. She stood there for quite some time apparently balancing effortlessly.

She reminded me of a Meerkat with a much shorter and less ringed tail. Does that skill come naturally or was it learned, I wondered? I can certainly see how that ability would help her finding prey or catching sight of danger early. She even walked a step before dropping to all fours again. Doubtless all cats do it.

I had not witnessed the balancing act before. Standing on two feet with head above the tall grasses was one thing that surely allowed us to be such successful hunters after coming down out of the trees. Tall is good. Alas, I have never been tall. My tenth grade homeroom and drama teacher was also short. She was the first female to graduate from North Carolina State and proud of it she was too. When asked how tall she was she would invariably answer, "Why I am not tall at all.... I am 5 feet short. winkngrin


Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019