Folks,

Is it just too hot to type? Is it warmer in Denmark and the UK than here in the south? Really?

For my excuse, we east coast colonists have had almost a week of 95 F temps (that would be 35 C for you heathens) with no rain hitting the red hot roof of my house. The heat is one thing but the high humidity we've had along with it makes going outside hellishly unpleasant.

It is June after all and we expect heat; some even love it. After living here for 66 years I should be acclimatized to sweltering southern summers were it not for climate change that seems to have moved summer back 4 weeks and being spoiled by air conditioning.

Our lucky Toronto pal C51 reports that he is off to a secluded north woods island for several days with his brother. It is an unpopulated island that you can only get to by Zodiac. Perhaps he will take some photos or better still draw some sketches while he is up there.

They will be staying in a rustic old cabin without many amenities. It will be a world lit at night only by the moon, stars and fire. I'm guessing that with only his own wits and his younger brother to protect him he will return to what passes for civilization up there in Canada rather filthy, mosquito bit, itchy with poison ivy, loaded with porcupine quills and absolutely reeking of au de skunk scent. When he once again greets his wife he will also wear a broad, contented smile and carry with him many precious memories of a time well spent. Yes, despite the au de skunk scent he's a mighty lucky fellow.

Our family used to be avid hikers and campers. I have always wanted to spend some quality time way up there in the Great North Woods but other than in the movies or on TV I never managed to do it. I came really close once but something else more important than my selfish pleasures intervened.

I exercise regularly and walk 5 miles every day but I've grown soft and pampered in my elder years. Just sleeping on the ground much less really roughing it would probably kill me. I like to think I'd die with a smile on my grimy, bearded face but who knows? Lady T's idea of "roughing it" has always been B&w TV and cold showers. wink


Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019