Folks,

MG:

We all laughed at the V W bug when we saw one go by. It was not the "ideal" American car by any stretch. For one thing it was half a car short of tail fins at that time. However during the "oil Shortage" of the 70s those folks smiled right back at us stuck in long lines as they passed by gas stations. They were not pretty, they were small and noisy, and the one I got for free reeked of gas in the passenger compartment. All that said, they were cheap to operate. I drove a V W Rabbit for several years. My beautiful, big Buick Riviera with leather seats and a wonderful stereo also had that big 4-barrel carb which guzzled gas. What I objected to was not her comment about the car. She was entitled to her opinion. Perhaps she should have been more proud of it? Hitler's influence aside, I cannot think of the name of another German car right now. The V W is famous around the world. Whole families were started, even reared in V W buses during the 60s. It is a symbol of the "Flower Child" generation.

What I objected to was her nationalistic hubris. It was her looks that interested me not her nationality. A second before she uttered "guten abend" I had no idea she was German. Of course it was the same with the British girl. I had no idea until I heard her accent. Hell, I bet most Brits have a hard time recognizing where each other hales from until they speak. Let's see now mate, open yer mouth an say sumthin'. Do you come from Glasgow, Yorkshire Dales or Liverpool? The moment I opened my big mouth in Canada no one was in any doubt where I was from. Since my visit I find it ever so easy to pick out a Canadian accent. Of course it helps if they are speaking the Canadian language. wink


Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019