JR2, you ole devil. A tale from you truely does signal the re-activation of the squadron. And what a fine contribution it is. As usual I had no idea where your story was headed until the revealing lines pulled into the station. You have always managed to create something totally fresh to string into the tale that ties it all together and you dont disappoint here. I got but only a few lines in before your excellent writing skills began to show brightly:
"Inside the dark cockpit, a figure silhouetted by the dim glow of a few un-shattered instruments stares out of the cockpit into the void beyond. His cracked pilot�s goggles are pushed up onto his forehead. There is a dark streak of crimson trickling down past his left eye and there are terrible burns on his left hand. The taste of blood is strong in his mouth yet the pilot is going into shock and no longer notices the throbbing pain."
Nicly done, very nicely done!
Greif1, the bio of your grandfather compares incredibly well with the history of many of the great WWII aces from all sides. It is no wonder you are so proud of him. Twenty victories while not serving on the Eastern front is quite an impressive record. I say that of course, only because the already seasoned Luftwaffe pilots were able to build huge victory numbers particularly early on, because the Soviet airforce was not up the challenge when the war began. I now recall you speaking before of the loss of both of his brothers in Russia. How horrible that must have been. The details of your grandfathers victories during the BoB are facinating. I would be thrilled to hear more when and if you want to share them.