Folks,

At 11 AM we have a temp of 54°F and a humidity of 60%. Nary a cloud darkens our sky allowing today to be a true Sunday in every way.

It seems there may have been 7 mysterious attempts at communications possibly from Argentina's missing sub. The US Navy is steaming into the area hoping to help.

This lyric from a well-known hymn comes to my crowded mind:

"Eternal Father strong to save Whose arm has bound the restless wave
Who bids the mighty ocean deep
It's own appointed limits keep
O hear us when we cry to Thee
For those in Peril on the sea."

News From The Cold War

I am coughing my widdle head off but feel better today. Tomorrow, I will have this thing licked.

OG:

We missed you, welcome back. If I had the choice of flying or posting here, I'm afraid I'd go flying. I think we all would. Those I've seen just after their first flight including myself (in a reflection) look like they just returned from a visit to Paradise. Their smiling face has happiness written all over it. Yet in their eyes, if you look closely, is a hint of sadness too. They are sad that their visit was over. Happiness most enjoyed is happiness shared. You izz a good feller. They will never forget their first flight or the pilot. I never will.

We have always eaten what we killed. The herds must be culled or nature will do it with starvation and disease. I too suddenly lost all interest in blood sports several years back. All my hunting firearms are long gone now. My hunting duds are washed and reverently folded by my dear late wife. I was with my grandson in spirit while remembering my own first deer hunt. His other grandpa had the honor of being with him as my son could not be there either due to his job. Despite my decision not to kill anymore I admit that I felt a bit deprived and experienced some pangs of envy. When I saw his proud, smiling face all that just melted away.

Yes, his face got ceremonially blooded and he did the cleaning of both the carcasses and his rifle. He has had a course in gun safety and both my son and I always have stressed, from his first B-B gun to the .270 that by keeping his gun clean and in perfect working order it will safer and never let him down.

Thanks for the link. I like that poem. Her way of elaborating on how man's ability to kill one another has escalated over the centuries. One battle-winning weapon and then another invented until now we can be proud of our ability to extinguish lives has reached its apex with the atomic era. I remember J. Robert Oppenheimer's quote from the Bhagavad-Gita which you'll know is a 700-verse Hindu scripture, written in Sanskrit, that centers on a dialogue between a great warrior prince called Arjuna and his charioteer Lord Krishna, an incarnation of Vishnu. Quote: 'Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds'.


Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019