Still cloudy here this morning but skies did clear some yesterday afternoon. A little stormy. The power went out for a few minutes, something like a power sub-station reset I'd guess. Humidity is still high but night-time temps much cooler most nights. Will November and the end of the hurricane season ever get here. Actually, and technically there could be hurricanes in the Atlantic in Dec. with global warming but in the past conditions have never as far as I know been conducive for large storms to form off Africa. THe water has been too cool I guess.
MG:
Thank you. I hope I got most of that right. It would be a terrible shame and expense if they dug Wilber up and he admitted they actually failed. North Carolina would go broke changing all those "First in Flight" license plates to "second or third in Flight".
That is bad news about the cop being shot and killed after a drug bust in Texas. I wonder which is the greater danger to our society; N. Korea from without or the Opioid crisis still building from within? The so-called Korean Conflict should have been fought as Macarthur wanted to fight and end it for good and all. Maybe that wasn't possible without nukes and maybe Truman was right but if that "police action" was fought until the N. Koreans knew they had been completely licked we would not be looking at doing the same thing today. One of the reasons IMHO for WW2 was that the Germans did not accept that they had been truly beaten in WW1. They blamed other causes rather than military defeat.
The threat of further Chinese intervention back then prevented Truman from pressing what advantages we had though our military was far more powerful. We had far fewer troops than China of course. After losing so many men a decade before in WW2 the President did not feel the American people were ready for another humongous casualty list. Part of his decision was political. OK. There is the possibility that had Truman let Doug fight his war his way we, the children born during the war that were survivors, would all glow in the dark these days and our pets would have 3 heads but N. Korea would be a safe and sandy desert. Yes, Macarthur was a "little Ceasar and gave Truman a headache but was he not also right? Just my opinion. No one should care what I think. I was born late in the 2nd World War, so what do I know?
Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044
"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"
CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019