Happy bird-spotting OldDux! I'm currently reading the Red Battle Flier. No birds in it yet but I'm only a quarter way through.
Rog, your seat has been reserved and the beer has been placed in the refrigrator although I understand that in spite of important talks being conducted between heads of state recently no agreement was reached on whether the beer should be served cold or warm.
Looking very much forward to seeing you at the Women's beach volley WC, I know we'll hit it off right away!
Regarding gear ratios, my most important advise is; "don't".
Unless your son is absolutely sure that gear ratios is the right thing to mess with chances are that the subject will only confuse and not yield the desired results. It is a complicated and complex subject and one should also consider the realtionship with the differential.
I tend to search for engineering help on the relevant forums, often I find a good setup that has been developed by someone who knows way more about these things than myself.
If the gear ratios still don't feel right to me, I try to optimize my driving because in my personal experience, if the gears seem wrong its because I'm not driving fast enough.