Yes, I'm sure you are correct regarding those hidden treasures. I suppose many people have museum quality Civil War era items moldering away in their attics. It seems a tad pathetic that the people of the south may have taken such care in hiding the money of the Confederacy which would be worthless after the war.
I tend to think that it was Union looters that hid that cache because Sherman's foragers and troops did a lot of helping themselves along their march. Because his march was in fact meant to impact the civilian population thus depriving the Confederate troops of their support, this looting and destruction of property was, if not encouraged, not often punished. We have no way of knowing if that medicine bottle was full at the time it was stashed.
Indeed I do recall Dagwood, Lil' Abner, Dick Tracy and many others like Gasoline Alley, Terry and the Pirates and even Maggy & Gigs. Somewhere in there I seem to remember an English bloke named Andy Capp. As a tiny lad on Sundays, right after church while imminent lunch was still a grumble in my tummy, I used to turn on the radio, get down on the floor with the funny papers spread out before me. There I'd listen to an old fellow read the funnies over the air. That along with a doting grandmother who read to me daily helped me develop an appreciation for reading. And who knows, perhaps this is why I learned to read so early. Oh, my teachers were so impressed.... Yup, that lasted just about as long as it took to get out our math books.
I'm working away at page 4 today of the original HWH.
Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044
"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"
CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019