Is that a tounge in your cheek I see before my very eyes?
What a wonderful ambiguous description of the blessings of 21st Century modernity Roger. It is such brilliant writing that it has taken me 24 hours to come up with a reply, and it still doesn't convey half of what my thoughts contain.
Phone are wonderful, but please do be careful! Before you know it, you'll be graced by endless notifications concerning the same mail; I made the bitter experience by carelessly telling my Google account to forward mails to my ISP account and then I was driven to despair by receiving notifications for new messages arrivals in the google inbox, on the phone, in the ISP inbox and then on the phone again, and the same procedure for my tablet. Going to the PC I could read the same mail for the 5th or 8th time, I'd lost count. Adding a news-feed, a couple of apps and my phone would go bing, bing, bing, ding dong, while wasting hours on Facebook checking for likes.
You mention that your gandmother saw immense changes and that is certainly true. Living through two world wars; it doesn't become more immense than that.
I wonder though, if our age is not as fast changing in ways different and more subtle than we imagine?
When I wrote the big school projects, even in high school, I used state of the art technology; a portable typewriter, and pocket calculators were just becoming the great craze. When I attended business school, we investigated a concept where you would order your shopping and groceries directly and electronically from the mall, and I really had difficulty getting my head round to that level of abstraction, and complete change of the very core of everyday life in the latter half of last century, as did my classmates.
Now, Every transaction with the bank, the public authorities, libraries, etc. etc. is via the internet and Amazon is very much a fact of life.
Someone recently wrote that we are now facing a situation where we have to be ten different persons and service ourselves, because there are no clerks around anymore, and everyone you ask, refer you to their internet page.
I think our brains are being fried, cooked and numbed.
Anyway, while perusing musical adventures I came across this little documentary which I hadn't seen before about the making of the film "The Battle of Britian".