Folks,

Dux:

From what I've seen in videos it can be like flying in a box looking ahead through a small opening. With that narrow forward field of view in mind you might wish to consider Track IR sometime in the future. I will never have it myself but it certainly looks like a fantastic addition. Meanwhile you can use your mouse in your left hand to "swivel" your head/view around.

LMK when you figure out the padlock system in RoF and can compare it to that of WoV. IL2's padlock is good and it is occasionally useful to me but it is nowhere near the ease and usefulness of the one in WoV. Of course purists who demand precise realism would not use IDs or padlocks or other similar "crutches". I allow some of these to compensate for a limited field of view for I play the game for fun and not frustration. These "cheats" are especially useful when teaching my grand children to fly as they become irritated and lose interest slightly faster than I do.

Our grandson has progressed to the point he likes more "realism" now but the grand daughter wants more "arcade" style play. It has been the only way to get her to become involved with flight sims period. She would much prefer all the planes to be painted pink and have illustrations of prancing unicorns and mermaids on them. Should anyone know of any such skins being available; please do not tell me. Shudder.....

Taking the artist's view pertaining to light and how it plays such a dynamic role in allowing us to see; your screenies are like color photos or a Robert Taylor painting. Look at how the smallest details are illuminated perfectly. For instance the thin leather rim of the cockpits seen going away. Soon if not already we will not be able to be sure if what we see is real or digital. Even at the level of skill that I have reached with Photo Shop I no longer trust photos in papers and magazines to be pure representations of fact.

With the help of IL2-46 and Mission Mate 6 I managed to set up a multiple way point attack by a large formation of B17s against an aerodrome near Berlin last night. I have learned how to set up a player takeoff now. So it was that I and a few other brave lads sat on the hot tarmac in our Me 262As when the alarm was sounded. The trick was to get airborne at once and meet the intruders in a head-on attack in an attempt to prevent damage to our field. It was late in the war and I only had a few chaps with me but the task was definately not impossible as we were to prove. One well placed shell from those canonen is enough to make a B17 go BOOM.

I have been puttering about virtual skies for ages yet I have little experience with twin engine jet craft. I must confess to you that I blew up on the runway 2 or 3 times before I got the hang of running up those jet engines. After that all was great and I played out the scenario a good many times to tweak it before finally saving it for future game play.

Then I sat up a carrier takeoff of F4UCs. This was a CAP mission that ended with us splashing a formation of pesky Japanese bombers and torpedo planes trying to sneak in and sink one of our ships. That was fun.


Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019