Folks,

Doubtless my weather news pales if compared to what you eastern folk are faced with. ❄️ 🌨️

We have a Nor'Easter off the coast headed north. Skies remain clear here save for a few small, scattered, fair weather clouds. The wind has been blowing strong all night and through morning. It is picking up speed this afternoon. Right now, 3:30 PM, we have sustained 26 MPH winds from the NE. The temp. is 53°F. / 12° C.

There is a high, damaging wind alert posted for our area through 10 PM tonight. 🌬️

MG:

And I thought it snowed Every winter day in Denmark. 😏

I'm glad you can be rather philosophical about the change in your weather, but did you mention snow-bears? A damaging snow-bear alert trumps my wind alert by quite a bit. None of us have to deal with snow-bears no matter how deep the snow gets. You most likely mean what we call Polar Bears.

I've seen them up close in zoos and, especially standing upright, they are formidable creatures indeed. It is a cruelty of nature and the warming climate that these magnificent animals are now becoming endangered. The problem is the melting or not forming ice flows. They have nowhere to go. There may come a time in my grand children's or their children's lives when the ONLY place they could see those creatures will be a zoo, museum, or on film.

You may be thinking of the rare possibility of seeing one raiding your outside garbage container one of these cold and snowy nights? That is quite a different story than wind. I understand, from personal experience with indigenous black bears, that bruins dearly love the taste and smell of canned sardines. Maybe Polar Bears do as well? I'd keep that particular product out of my trash for the time being, if I were you.

You are quite welcome for the unsolicited and perhaps useless lesson on the many merits of both the Fahrenheit and Celsius scales, opposed to the mystical Kelvin. Doubtless, you will continue on happily measuring the temp. of your bath water and the salty Danish fjords in Celsius. And I will blissfully continue thumbing my nose at the rest of the world measuring the temp. of the air around me in Fahrenheit. The sun will still come up sometime tomorrow. 😜

I believe that was on some remote, islands in the Antarctic where those hearty birds, recently found freezing their butts off in skin tight formal wear, were found. There must be egg on the face of whomever was in charge of the penguin census in the Antarctic in 2010.

I suppose the US will quickly offer those penguins financial and military aid. Then Russia will rush to do the very same. Despite global warming, there are signs that the cold war is coming back.

Q: What do you call a Snow-Bear with no teeth?
A: A gummy bear winkngrin


Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019