Incredible to think that the Vulcan's predecessor on Avro's design table was the Lancaster. Much of the navigation and bomb aiming equipment in the Vulcan apparently also dated back to breakthroughs and innovations made during the later war years.
With the help of modern technogoly I have been able to watch a two part television special featuring lorry mechanic, TT-bike racer and tv-presenter Guy Martin following in the footsteps, or the air-wake, of Battle of Britain pilots training for air combat in a Hawker Hurricane against a Messerschmitt 109, or the Bouchon actually; the ex- spanish airforce version that was used in the 1969 movie as well as last seen in Nolan's movie Dunkerque. The training of aerial fighting manouvers reminded me straightaway of our venerable simulation and made me feel nostalgic for the hours I spent flying quick missions.. How many times have I not been turning left, turning right, climbing, diving - in my attempts to catch the 109 in the gun sight of my Spitfire or Hurricane, allowing for deflection shooting in one of those quick flight scenarios.
Guy Martin is an impish and irrepressive character. He owns a Merlin engine which he starts up on occasion. I wonder if I have become better at understanding him, or if he is speaking now with less of an accent. I suspect the latter.
April seems to turn out colder than experienced in many years. This morning actually we had sleet, and temperatures at night are still around the freezing point.