Our current temp is 78°F. and our projected high should be 85°F. The humidity is a tolerable 50%. Skies are clear. Apparently, we have several more days with highs in the mid 80's F. nearing 90°F. on Friday. If the humidity stays low it will be wonderful.
I see the Boy Scouts of America have changed their name. It is now "Scouts BSA". I get the scouts bit and the reason for the change, but what does the "BSA" now stand for?
Believe me, though girls were relegated to the GIRL Scouts, when I was in the Boy Scouts we were NOT misogynistic whatsoever. Far from it. We would have gleefully welcomed some ladies into our troop with, er... open arms...OK, only the pretty ones. It would have put a serious crimp in the tent sleeping arrangements, especially during distant Camporees. My adult cousin was scout master of troop 106 and I'm sure that he could have worked it out.
Ours was a troop sponsored by our church. We held our Pre-Camporee on a large grassy expanse behind the church. There was a big brouhaha when my cousin (the son of, not the adult SM) was caught not being the least bit misogynistic to the preacher's daughter in one of the scout tents. His dad, the Scout Master, sure knew how to handle that.
I don't mind the change in the name. The precepts that have long led scouting won't change. The motto, "Be Prepared". The scout Oath and Law:
I can still recite that oath. A little rusty on precise wording, I checked a BSA website.
Boy Scout Oath or Promise On my honor, I will do my best To do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law; To help other people at all times; To keep myself physically strong, mentally awake and morally straight.
Note that the Boy Scout Oath has traditionally been considered to have three promises. Those three promises are delineated by the semicolons in the Oath, which divide it into three clauses. The three promises of the Scout Oath are, therefore:
Duty to God and country, Duty to other people, and Duty to self DUTY TO GOD AND COUNTRY: Your family and religious leaders teach you to know and serve God. By following these teachings, you do your duty to God.
Men and women of the past worked to make America great, and many gave their lives for their country. By being a good family member and a good citizen, by working for your country's good and obeying its laws, you do your duty to your country. Obeying the Scout Law means living by its 12 points.
DUTY TO OTHER PEOPLE: Many people need help. A cheery smile and a helping hand make life easier for others. By doing a Good Turn daily and helping when you're needed, you prove yourself a Scout and do your part to make this a better world.
DUTY TO SELF: Keeping yourself physically strong means taking care of your body. Eat the right foods and build your strength. Staying mentally awake means learn all you can, be curious, and ask questions. Being morally straight means to live your life with honesty, to be clean in your speech and actions, and to be a person of strong character.
Boy Scout Law A Scout is: Trustworthy, Loyal, Helpful, Friendly, Courteous, Kind, Obedient, Cheerful, Thrifty, Brave, Clean, and Reverent.
The Outdoor Code ( I don't remember this ) As an American, I will do my best to - Be clean in my outdoor manners Be careful with fire Be considerate in the outdoors, and Be conservation minded.
All laudable precepts.
Even if I were troubled by change, it is not cause for sending back my Tenderfoot or other merit badges rightfully won or the huge BSA award on my wall once given to me for minor services rendered. I'm proud of all that and more. I'm not troubled. No indeed. Times change and we must change with them. Vive Le Difference.
Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044
"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"
CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019