Thank you for the compliment. I do hope that those who receive it will find some minor pleasure in it.
That is an excellent action shot with the doomed enemy in the middle ground and the dragon's teeth-like trenches far below. I dunno about that quote. It sounds familiar. I have a copy of Closterman's "The Big Show" and that book is on my re-reading list.
If Pierre said that he seems to have failed to make the point after the war. After the war, Clostermann went into French politics (he was a strong supporter of the European Union) he also worked for Dassault. As I recall, he died at the age of 85 several years ago.
In truth no one lives through mortal combat for any length of time unscathed. Everyone who endures such horrors of death, destruction and even magnificent heroism and makes it home is changed in some way. Some come home better men, some are destroyed by it and fall apart. Others seem to be perfect citizens outwardly but inside they are in turmoil. They are dead inside. The war continues on for them in dreams and nightmares. Not all the fatalities of war are immediately buried and not all the scars of battle are on the outside.
Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044
"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"
CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019