I would sigh at that story, but there it would achieve little. Time marches on.

I wonder whether 'Mavis' would recognise Remembrance Sunday on 11th(ish) November each year. She might vaguely be aware, but probably lacks the curiosity to know more. This is perhaps not a modern phenomenon. Not everyone finds history interesting. Indeed, I still recall my very own words to my father when aged fifteen or so that I "hated all that war stuff that you're into. It's totally irrelevant!".

The very wise Norwegian priest that Christened my youngest related a little story to me recently.

"When you are five years old, your father is a hero. Larger than life, big and strong, he can do no wrong and you worship him.

When you are eight he seems to know about everything in the world.

When you are ten you are not so sure.

When you are fifteen he is out of date and embarrassing. You have no need for him or any of his ways.

When you are twenty five, the old man is starting to make some sense.

When you are forty, his wisdom is highly relevant.

And it is only when you are sixty that you truly regret that he is gone."

The ages of man never change.


"Ah yes, Michael (Parkinson)," Bader replied, "But these Fockers were Messerschmitts..."

BDG BoB Developers Group: Eleven! years of passion for historical recreation of the Battle of Britain.