Max Roach? Naw, man, he's a bee bop drummer. The best in fact. So I couldn't teach him anything.
Great memories. BS&T! Chicago! As a college student I saw Chicago perform in Raleigh once upon a time (through a self-induced alcoholic haze) many harvest moons ago. How about the BoxTops guys? Remember "The House of the Rising Sun?
Once upon a time I also possessed a full set of red-sparkle Ludvigs. Mine were made years ago when the name meant something special and their quality was still exceptionally high. All I have left of that expensive set of drums are some fantastic memories and of coarse my 'drumsticks'.
Two treasured sets of drumsticks (and a small practice drum pad)are all that remain. Now C51 I do have the drumsticks however you may want to 'drum' me right out of HWH for I fear that I cannot even remember what I did with the rest of that chicken.....
Our band was optimistically called the "Impacts". I fear this name was an unforgivable hubris and a complete misnomer since we actually had very little 'impact' beyond a very narrow geographic area of NC.
Now wait a moment, having said that, we did get drunk on the way home from a far away gig at least once. Somehow we became completely lost for it was a cold, dark, rainy night. Going too fast, we totally missed a curve, ran right off the main road through a fence and right across a farmer's field. Our VW bus skidded to a halt with a shower of mud just after it hit the farmer's outhouse a powerful glancing blow. Unfortunately this happened when the farmer's wife was actually sitting in the quaint knotty pine two holer. She rolled right out absolutely unhurt but wild-eyed and totally speechless as I recall. According to the deputy sheriff we made quite an impact on her.
The farmer's wife the possible exception, playing in a R&R band was an easy way to meet lotsa fine ladies as I recall. Even Ringo Starr couldn't 'beat' that with a stick.
Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044
"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"
CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019