Folks,

Here is the good/bad news.

Good for me but for you silly lot who were so looking forward to hearing how high I bounce, it may be bad news...At no time today will I be falling on my ice or on anyone else's.

It is a few minutes after noon here and I have spent most of the morning sitting by the window doing the Sunday crossword puzzle and sipping my fortified coffee whilst looking out upon the predicted winter wonderland. A wonderland that is somewhat devoid of wonder. It is winter, and there is plenty of land. However there is nary a flake of snow that I can see.

After all that frightful promotion by the well-meaning Ouija board crowd, the snowman threw us a curve-ball. My wife swears that she saw a few flakes last night, and speaking of flakes, her younger sister, who may always be relied upon to back her up anyway, claims that five miles from here, there was a veritable blizzard going on. Perhaps there was? I, myself, saw film on TV of the snow really coming down along the I-95 corridor late yesterday, and for you geographically challenged, the I-95 snakes its crowded, crooked way by us but a few miles from here. And let me say that 4-laned thing is a real weather maker IMHO.

So often we see on the weather RADAR how storms brew up and or track right along that broad ribbon of concrete. Perhaps it is the rippling thermals of warm air rising into the skies above it that unsettles the weather? Perhaps all those automobile exhausts choking the air play a part? If a butterfly flapping its wings Down Unda can affect the weather in Alaska, perhaps those metal beasts zipping along at well above the posted limit may disturb more than just the tranquility of the NC Highway Patrol? Someone with plenty of time on their hands should do an exhaustive environmental study. HINT: I am available if the pay is good and the hiring standards are low.

I had high hopes for them this time however we have yet another failure of the crystal gazing prognosticators. Wait a tick before we flush those reputations. They mean well and often get it close, perhaps the sky gazers do not need to go shopping for a new Ouija board? It is, after all, unseasonably cold, they got that one right. We had plenty of rain. They got that right too. And what was left of that cold rain froze into a diamond hard finish this morning. That happened as predicted when the Arctic blast from C-51 Country blew in just a few but critical hours behind schedule. The dry air behind the storm seems to have dried most of that wetness before the cold got its icy fingers into it. Thus, the likelihood of my actually falling on my ice seems nil today. Sorry. May I direct any and all complaints to the local weatherman who almost got it right this time.

In truth, this morning, in spite of the storm, seems just like Friday morning. Early on, the chilly cats were grumbling about their water dish being frozen and a few of the younger ones seemed reluctant or unable to get a good wag out of their stiff, bushy tails. After replacing the solid water for the liquid kind and providing a satisfying meal for the pressing multitude, peace was restored and the dirty looks stopped coming my way. Our cats love us but they occasionally seem to give me way too much credit. I do see how they reason. Anyone who can make food and water appear and turn the daylight on and off at will must certainly be in control of all the weather.

Hang in there hopeful folks, I see on the Weather Channel that more snow is forecast for late in the week. Naturally I will have technicians standing buy should an appreciable amount of snow or ice fall so that they may reliably report to you how high I bounce. ;\)


Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019