Folks,

PV1:

I am quite familiar with the work of Stickman AKA Vadenstick Aka J. S. We've been around BoB for a long time. You all do great work. It seems to me however that the work that you do must be the most tedious and demanding. Therefore it must also be the most rewarding when you are successful. When we fly homeward over those fields, valleys and elevations it is too easy to simply enjoy ourselves and seldom think how much work went into it all. It is all too real for anyone to have created it.

I thank you for your step-by-step introduction. It all seems incredibly complex on the surface. Doubtless familiarity over time may come and then maybe the work becomes a bit easier at least for the gifted. I have read about The Gimp and I have been tempted now and again to download and try it out. I use Photoshop 7 which is quite old now. I also have Illustrator 8 which is aged as well.

No doubt the more recent version of Gimp has features that my old version of Photoshop does not. My version does not have a simple wrap filter that would allow me to use a mesh to realistically wrap a texture map around a 2D object. That came in the next version of the program and I miss having it now and again. I've added a ton of free and third party filters and plugins that have helped speed up the work over the years as well.

I'm nowhere near being in your league but I've considered trying my hand at a bit of skinning. I once attempted a "Kill Yamamoto" custom mission for IL2-'46. When I found I could not find or alter the available P-38 skins to those required I thought about doing the work myself but soon I gave it up and created a less than historic version instead. There are tutorials about so I may try again one day.

Just dealing with the old Mtt2 tool of a decade ago must be challenging. Considering the difficulty the finished work is all very impressive I must tell you. Hmmm. Those houses and ships are well crafted but what would they be without a world to attach them to? wink


Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019