Temps in the high 60's F. right now with a high in the mid to upper 70's predicted.We have partly overcast skies.
I had what some Brits call a spot of bother on Thursday around noon. I booted my computer and it hung up at the HP logo. That little circling worm below just kept following its tail. Odd, but HP sometimes pushes an update so I wasn't worried....not yet. But after 2 hours I was a bit concerned. HP does not push huge, quarterly updates like MS enjoys afflicting us with.
I waited a while longer not wanting to turn off the laptop while an update was possibly in progress. Finally, I felt I just had to. I reached for the off switch and, biting my lip, pressed hard and held it. The screen went totally black.
Not without some trepidation, I pressed the button once more. The HP logo appeared out of the black on schedule. Though It must have been tired, so did the little tail chasing worm. That spun around long enough to make me hold my breath. Finally, just as I was turning a nice shade of Delft blue, the logo and worm disappeared as it was supposed to and the screen proceeded directly to the familiar blue screen thence to the lock screen.
Phew! All has been well since then with the laptop again, booting properly this morning. What was the problem caused by? I, for one, suspect the cat. Although she appears to us as a completely innocuous Luddite, in actuality, she might have an alter ego as Super Hacker Pussy. 🐈
I've caught her many times standing on my keyboard pressing random keys with her toes. What if the keys she pressed were NOT random at all? Each time she stopped pressing keys and jumped down when she saw me watching. I'm no Sherlock Holmes but that seem suspicious to me.
Perhaps while I was away for a moment, after starting the computer, Zeena took advantage of the opportunity and leapt upon the keyboard to insert a few lines of malicious code? OK. She looks innocent and claims no malicious attempt on her part EVER took place. Statistics are definitely against her culpability as well. For now,I'll give her the benefit of the doubt.
Call me over cautious if you wish, Yet I'm keeping an close eye on that Opera singing cat, especially when she's near the computer.
Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044
"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"
CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019