Only partly sunny skies here this morning. Our temp is 44°F. at 11:15 AM. No threat of snow that I know about. Temps are expected to be in the low to mid sixties F. next week. Right up to Christmas Day when the temp is predicted to be a cooler 48°F./9°C but that is perhaps too far out to be considered accurate. It has rained 21 out of 30 days in the last 30 years here on Christmas Day. Record snowfall 0.15 in. (1989). Average snowfall, barely a trace 0.01 in. I am not, therefore, planning to be able to go sleigh riding on Christmas Day this year. The record low temp for Christmas Day is 5°F. (1989).That was the frigid Christmas my dear son got a Go Cart. Good lord, it was cold outside riding that thing. Most of my time was spent trying to find the right cuss word to make it start.
Dux:
Thanks for trying to read that. I tried too. I will run the photo through LightRoom or Photoshop and see if I can bring out more details in the plaque or something. Yes, do send pix of the Lanc as well. I'll be looking for them. Thanks also for more details about the Lysander. I wonder if it would have made a good "Bush Plane" if Canadian civilians could get their hands on any surplus aircraft after the war? I will LYK if I ever figure out what that mysterious item is.
MG:
Thanks for looking at the whatsit. If you figure it out LMK.
An excellent, delightfully interesting and well written post, my friend. Is it 2001 already? What's that LeRoy? It is 2017! Really? As the fellow just hit in the head by an alarm clock observed, "How time flies." Well then, 2017, almost 2018, it is indeed high time we got off our rumps and went back to the moon and looked for that obelisk. Oh, right. The Prez has just directed NASA to go back to the moon this past week. Now, thanks to MG reminding us, we know why. Wait.... the Prez didn't actually mean for ALL of NASA to go to the moon, did he? I mean, the whole staff and every man jack of them? Kinda like Ralph Cramden telling poor Alice he was "One of these days Alice, Wham-zoom" send her to the moon. That would take a pretty big rocket to take NASA to the moon.
Perhaps he thinks NASA is redundant since Elon Musk founded Space X in 2002? That seems to be successfully managing to reuse expensive rockets and travel back and forth regularly to the space station. Maybe the Prez has invested some time looking into Space X and sees a great potential for huge financial profits without the redundant NASA siphoning off taxpayer's hard earned cash? Cash that could be far better used repaying wealthy Republican congressional donors for their largess. Naw, certainly not. Why, we all know, going to the space station is one thing but to the moon? That is quite another. Wait again. The Prez didn't tell Mr. Musk to go to the moon, just NASA.
Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044
"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"
CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019