Folks,

It was not as chilly in eastern NC last night. Very few areas had temps dropping into the 30s and so most started this new Saturday with temps in the mid to high 40s. It is partly sunny here today with hopes we'll see a high of 71°F, by 4 PM. There is a cold front headed this way with rain but that may not arrive until tomorrow.

Ha! Welcome to infinite pleasures of the big boss man my dear son. I told Fittop about my son's new job so you probably know about it too. He is learning it isn't all the fun he used to think it was to be the head honcho. Yesterday he was introduced to the political side of his job. He had lunch with the mayor. He said it went well. That kinda thing that I was rather used to in my second to the last job gave him the shakes. He'll get used to it if he is to succeed. I eventually did.

Forget about the city, state, and county officials I had to deal with corporately; every mall was full of self-centered retail tenants (especially the big boxes) who thought they were not only my boss (they learned differently in as nice a way as possible) but each others boss as well. Contrary to what some think, the competition in a mall is greater than anywhere else. The merchant association meetings were, let us say, interesting.Talk about politics, good grief.

Working for a municipality is new to my boy. The medium-sized city of Durham had a pop. of 263,000 in 2016. Working for a municipality that size has advantages and disadvantages as well. Right next door to Durham is the capitol city of Raleigh. Many cities are unashamedly vying for that new Amazon home2 that is to be built. With the exception of the public transportation requirement stated by Amazon, Raleigh is the perfect venue. I understand that in spite of that, the city is or was number 5 on the list of possibilities. I also heard that Raleigh had asked not to be considered. I can't believe Gov. Cooper would agree with turning away so many thousands of jobs. I know Gov. Roy Cooper, who is from my hometown, and he 'ain't no dummy.'

Actually, I can see both sides of the issue. The "winner" in this lottery (to reinforce the metaphor, like those who buy the most lottery tickets) will doubtless actually be just the one who throws the tastiest incentives Amazon's way. The reported $5B tax incentives NJ Gov, Chris Christie has offered Amazon really upped the ante in that department. I wonder. If Amazon2 moves to Raleigh. which is only 50 miles from here, would that mean my packages would arrive faster? If so, I'm all for it. No, I do NOT plan to go with their offer to allow their delivery guys to enter my house to protect my packages left on the porch from thieves. If you don't know about that offer, look it up on Amazon.

Even with that fancy digital lock and camera installed free, they would so generously allow me to buy, it is too risky IMHO. Look into it. You be the judge.


Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019