Folks,

The sky here is overcast as what is left of Maria brings high surf and wind to our Outer Banks. She is on her way elsewhere and good riddance I say. We are not out of the woods yet as the hurricane season continues into November. The photos my former daughter-in-law has sent from where the hurricane swept into Texas look like a war zone. She and her associates are doing good work down there.

I think half my computer decided today was a fine day to ask to get an upgrade. One notification after another popped up. I'm not used to that. My desktop icons all rearranged themselves for some unknown reason for the second day in a row. A mere annoyance as I have a program to put them back in their places with two clicks. Yet I do wonder why that happened. I have the proper setting in windows 10. This is just another Twilight Zone software mystery I guess.

Here is some sad but possibly encouraging news for those obese folks that simply refuse to diet and feel guilty about it. A poor lady once considered the heaviest woman on earth lost 700 lbs and now she has unfortunately died. I hope she rests in peace for I doubt she had much peace or happiness in this life. One thing for sure, she and her health care team had the knowledge of a great and so difficult accomplishment. I do not know what ended her life but I;d guess that her obesity was the major contributing cause.

Fittop:

I watched two more Vietnam War segments on ROKU/PBS last night. They were pretty far into the protest movement. The Nixon years were covered in some depth. I was born too late to remember the Second World War but I do vaguely remember some things about Korea and of course the days of Vietnam rather clearly. It seems odd to watch a doc like that about a time that I lived through for some reason. To see people and historic events I actually remember. I was as close to President Jonson once that I could see he could use a shave. I stood right beside a car once in which Ladybird and one of her daughters were sitting. They both looked out their car window and smiled at me. Then they drove off. I was close enough to look down into the car. Years later I received a call from the Whitehouse. President Carter was coming to a town to make a speech and they wanted to know if we would allow the Prez to speak at our mall there. Per company policy, I declined the honor. I was not expecting a call from the Whitehouse believe me. It is not easy to say no in such instances I discovered. Even though it was clearly SOP to say "NO" to all political requests I wondered if I would be critisized by someone further up the food chain. I was not. Mr. Carter spoke on the steps of the local Public Library which was majestic in its white marbled Greek architecture. A more fitting place I thought.


Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019