Thank you for the useful info. I want to thank once again the young woman who sent Il2 1946 to me. It is a wizard game with many, many features, options and an infinite number of scenarios. Let me also thank the individual (sorry, I have forgotten precisely who) that first suggested that I get IL2 1946. If he is lurking about I'd like to ask him, do you have any lottery numbers you particularly like or have any stocks to recommend?
I am proud to report that I am finding more of the enemy now but enjoying it less. They frigging shoot back at you!! I got 2 P2s last night over that wet spot near Sevastopol. To do it took a lot of passes with my 109 even with all guns and canonen blazing. I like this game a lot. It is visually striking for, unlike BoB2, it supports my older vid card, so I can run it full bore. If it were as easy to set up as was BoB WOV I'd be shooting down meatballs with my F4U already. I have to get my profile set and the joystick throttle sorted first. To be fair, also unlike BoB, there is not any possibility that I know of to have hundreds of planes zooming about unless you find yourself in multiplay.
C51:
It will not behoove me then to carry a parachute with me over the Steppes. I'd rather go down riddled with red bullets or die a horrible death streaking toward earth ablaze than risk being either rescued or captured by Olga.
To be truly accurate mate, none of us, meaning neither Dux, you nor I, have ever really "left" BoB or each other have we? We are going into our 9th HWH year in April and that is not too shabby is it? I know that hanging on after our Fearless Founder SNAFU ran off to France to shack up with that French or possibly German beermaid, was a mostly a selfish act on my part. I have honestly enjoyed every minute of it and therefore take no extra credit for it.
More importantly, I have made many happy acquaintances and three great friends here from 3 different countries. Gentlemen, I value that more than I can say. Without you 2 fellows, and more recently our Danish pal Jens, poking your beaks in as often as you could with encouraging words and vital support I would have packed it in at least 6 years ago. I hope that wherever Mark may be right now that he knows we haven't forgotten him or let him down. Thanks to you guys HWH continues!
Dux:
That Marine Sniper game sounds mighty interesting. I have done some shooting with a good scope and rifle myself but without the great personal danger or the miserable discomfort of a long, tediously slow stalk wearing an itchy, scratchy Gillie suit. That makes a hge amount of difference. One of my heroes is the much praised and decorated Carlos Hathcock. Until he retired, and for some time there afterward, he held the sniper "kill" record for the US Marine Corps.
Hathcock was seriously burned attempting to get marines out of a burning vehicle that had struck a mine. He received a medical discharge. His record stood until the advent of the Iraq and Afghanistan "wars" offered later snipers so many more targets of opportunity and in addition the technology of long range firearms greatly improved. I once knew a guy who claimed to have helped design a .50 sniper rifle. He did have a schematic drawing that looked authentic. Some marines used to snipe using the .50 machine gun mounted with an Unertle telescopic sight.believe it or not.
Apropos to the above in some way perhaps, our youngest grandson received his first air rifle this afternoon. It is much like my own first rifle in that it is a 70th anniversary Daisy Red Ryder 1,000 shot carbine.
With that tool his dad and I will teach him to respect and to shoot firearms safely. Already he shows a natural ability to hit a distant target. I expect him to enjoy himself and to become a good marksman in the process. Let us also fervently hope that in his time there will be no further need for snipers.
Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044
"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"
CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019