Well done indeed. All too brief but choice prose nonetheless. Hey, I'm getting stoked. Could be I'll start writing again.... ummmm, Sorry to ruin everyone's day like that but HB has posted a fine tale of combat in the finest traditions of Grief1 and the others who have written stories from the German side of the Channel.
SNAFU:
Way overdue!! So overdue it is almost criminal IMHO. Russia is full of monuments to the "Great Patriotic War" most all the other allied countries boast scores of piled and polished marble as well. Yet until now there has been no such monument to the sacrifice of WW2 vets in our nation's capital. How could this be?
I suppose that countless thousands of knowledgeable, appreciative great grandchildren born to and living in a free society might be the greatest possible monument to all those magnificent men and women and their sacrifices. Yet, I think we owe them more especially in the light of all those monuments to the surviving and the fallen in other wars.
My wife's uncle Bill was an Army Ranger who was shot in the head and captured during the Battle of the Bulge. He spent many agonizing months in hospital both as a POW and after the war. He cannot watch the BOB series either. I have tried on many occasions to discuss his D-Day experiences but to no avail. Just the thoughts of that time bring anguish and floods of tears to his failing old eyes.
I suppose that the ghosts, the agonies of that time are so sacred, so painful to some that to bring them to mind must be reserved for only those understanding brothers who were actually there with them. Only surviving soldiers who truly understand such sacrifices and the profound feelings that accompany them are fit to discuss such things amongst themselves. Only they are deemed worthy to hear such things because they too are tormented by their own ghosts of war.
Salute WW2 vets!
Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044
"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"
CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019