Thought I'd subject you to this before I left for the weekend chaps. It's only half finished so don't be to brutal!
Catch you all on monday.
Grounded
Sat in the sunshine with a mug of tea while pondering my next move from a particularly sticky position in a game of Chess with Barry it's hard to believe we're at war. This could almost be the scene from an office picnic, chaps sat around reading, chatting and lounging in the sun.
That is until you take in the attire of the people sat around, flight gear, mae wests and survival gear lie in heaps close to hand and if you cast a glance across the closely cropped green grass to your left you'll see our twelve Spitfires standing centurion over the scene.
Looking at the board I begin to feel the strings of a plan forming in my mind, if I move my queen just so the shoe might be moved onto the other foot. I lift my hand towards the queen and see a grimace pass quickly across Baz's features, he's seen the same thing I have and knows he's in trouble! I'm sliding the queen across the board when the C/O bursts from the Ops hut and yells at us to scramble.
I jump up and have made almost halved the distance to my plane before I halt, realising that I won't be joining them on this trip, after visiting the quacks after Jerry forced me to walk home the other day I was told I'd sprained an ankle and would have to stand down for several days. The feeling of frustration is overwhelming, I want nothing more than to race into the sky to with my squadmates to meet head on with this aggressor who would rain destruction on my fair land but I'm stuck down here.
As I turn back to trudge towards the Ops hut with the sound of merlin engines starting up breaking the tranquility of the afternoon I notice that Baz has knocked the chess table over in his haste to get to his plane. I'm almost willing to bet the bugger did it on purpose!
I wave as the chaps circle the base and then watch them until they're out of sight, wondering if they'll meet the enemy or if it will just be another fruitless patrol and hoping that all they will all make it back.
[To be continued]
------------------ They were in the wrong place at the wrong time, naturally they became heroes.