Folks,

At 11 Am the temp here where I live is 79°F. with a humidity of 84% under an overcast sky. There is a 2 mph breeze from the SEThe high temp for today is expected to be 83°F.

OG:

Yes, it was a wonder any boy made it out of his teens alive without at least having his exasperated dad kill him. I did so many silly, stupid, dangerous things back then that just the remembering of them scares the hell out of me today. Those memories of an active childhood did not, however, let my own son off the hook. I kept a close eye on him.

He still managed to wreck my new car when it had but 10K miles on it. I had good insurance and he somehow lived to apologize for it so I restrained myself somehow from doing aggravated homicide. My late wife calmed me down as usual. All the way to the scene of the accident I didn't think about the car, I was out of my mind with worry about him. Then, when I saw he was OK I noticed my car upside down between two giant oaks in someone's front yard. Despite the joy of finding my son alive and well, I became a little misty-eyed. The underside of the car was still shiny!

BTW, A friend of my son's has a .388 Lapua with an ATN-Thor ll thermal imaging scope. My son is gonna try it out today and is thinking of buying one if he likes it. Is there something similar you would recommend he look at that would be a better choice? At $5 a pop for a\mmo that ain't usually used for plinking, I imagine. His friend paid around $3K for it. I've never even shot one though I plan to that one sometime if my son doesn't get one I can shoot. There are good, reputable gun shops here or in Raleigh. Raleigh is only about 50 miles away.

Fittop:

Well, you were flying a Buff and that amazing long lived aircraft, I believe, has many good traits but they are not especially noted for their aerobatic abilities. One of the unfortunate things about a bomber is that after the IP it might tend to be flown rather rigidly upon a pre-determined flight path thus making it a better target on some occasions. Or perhaps you had one of those inflatable auto pilots with you to do that grunt work between the IP and the target? I understand that is what the B-17 pilots did. My uncle and I never talked about bomb runs on the B25 he flew in. He was a bombardier. He took me up in his Cessna and let me do a bit of piloting at a young age. I wish I had asked him about it. I thought the Bombardier took control after the IP.


Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019