My mother has often spoken to me of the struggles to make the food stretch, the lack of sweets and of any fruit which could not be grown here; an orange would be a rare treat for Christmas. The foods which were available were different to what anyone was used to, horse meat, unknown fish and whale meat which was particularly hated. Queuing for hours in the hope of some meat at the butchers. Hunting down rumours of a delivery.
I presume that we would get used to it again if the need arose, however overfed we are currently (speaking for myself ).
Of course the habit of frugal living and not wasting food continued into my own childhood. A treat I can remember is bread and dripping, the dripping being the fat and meat juices from the Sunday roast. I loved it, but can�t imagine trying to get my girls to try it!
A couple more links which might be of interest, I might even try a couple of the recipes.