Y'all,

Thanks for the escape from the current sadness. We are still reading, JRT. reading

The "Victory at Sea" series was a highlight of the times when one was cognizant of the triumphs and the sacrifices that we would be facing as we headed to adulthood.
Somehow the realization hit home that it would soon be our turn to take those men's places. -They were mostly men, but the women were right there also.
Some even in the same jobs but most doing essential tasks without which no front line would exit.

You guys are sending me back to search for my Frankie Lymon reel to reel tapes, which presently I have no way to play.
Did not know until You-Tube mentioned it, the name of his backup singers group.
The last I read of Herman, one of the group, was trying to get paid for his residuals and had heart problems.
That was way back. He was (is?) a nice guy. Some of the others were drawn to the bright lights.
But I remember Herman tapping out rhythms on the street corner. Hard worker.