I've learned that our beloved keeper of bloated OS and software with unwanted features in general, that's Microsoft I'm alluding to, is tinkering with a Lean version of it's latest Dinosaur, windows 10. the apparition goes by the name of Windows 10 Lean and apparently it comes without preloaded apps and desktop images. It saves 2 Gb in footprint once installed. Sadly it still sports the tiles and the hideous design. If anything, it is now even more hideous due to the black desktop image.
I can only speculate that Microsoft wants to address the multiple installations of Windows XP that are used to drive applications like information screens, the types found at airports, railway stations, in trains and buses, in banks and other such places where an automated system runs through a preselected number of still screens and movies clips. Even my cable provider uses such devices I suspect. I'm not at all convinced that this version is going to be available to the public at large.
As you Roger, I also dig into the back catalogue of oldies but goodies when perusing my collection of music. Currently on rotation is Muddy Waters, as well as music that I discovered at an early age. A recent return to the Silver fox, Charlie Rich has left me amazed at the man's talents as singer, songwriter, piano player, and the general musicianship on the recordings. all musicians and singers never do "too much", realizing that it is not how much you play, but how well you play that is of the essence. This especially strikes me as his versatility is displayed on the album Silver Linings which consists of songs in a genre I don't usually enjoy; Godspell. His songs are refined, bluesy and jazzy. Watching a band of Danish Godspell singers the other day, I thought that in comparison they sounded very much as happy but hapless amateurs.