The temps are hovering around freezing and the ice has coated about everything outside that stood still long enough last night and this morning. Our power was off all night and until 11 AM today. Thank goodness we have gas to heat and cook with so we were well-fed and fairly comfy. We had several flashlights and broke out the old antique kerosene lamps for illumination just like great grandma.
All night and through the morning there were sharp reports like someone shooting an elephant gun. Since elephants (other than the hallucinatory pink ones) are scarce around here so I wisely deduced that this noise shook the china when big limbs with too much ice on them crashed to the ground in the woods around the house. Nothing hit the house, outbuildings or vehicles fortunately.
Secondary roads are slick, however all main roads are passable including 301 and I-95. Lotsa fender benders though. The ice and freezing rain stopped about 11 AM but most of this stuff will be with us through tomorrow when we expect temps in the 40s F.
I just knew that thermal underwear would come in handy one day. Too small to wear, if it weren't for the gas heat we might have burned several pair for warmth. Anyway the power might go off again at any moment so I may disappear for some time. Yes, that's something to hope for, I heard that remark SNAFU.
------------------ "Blessed are they who expect nothing. For they will not be disappointed." - Edmund Qwenn, "The Trouble with Harry"