Folks,

Dux:

Considering the likely state you were in at the time; I'd be quite proud of being able to speak, much less sing, and no matter how ribald the lyrics. Could you also do that standing up? wink

I am deee-lighted beyond the ability of my mere words to describe how happy I am to inform you all that I am now the proud possessor of IL2 1946. Moreover, it is running even better than BoB2 in many ways.

I have two very good friends to thank for this happy situation, one of them claims that I did them a small favor once and they are repaying me for that. This cannot be true of course for I never demand a tariff of any sort for any such favors. Regardless, I thank them for their kind consideration.

I had a major spastic event when I first loaded the game and my mouse totally lost its mind. Once I found how to set the thing into DirectX mode and not Open GL mode everything calmed right down. Up to that point everything ran about as fast as molasses does uphill in January.

So all is almost well. I am having some difficulty getting everything set up in the game. It will take more time than I supposed after my long association with BoB. BoB is much more intuitive. I have some Googling and reading to do. I'd really like a key card I thought to myself and sure enough there, in PDF form, Oleg has provided one. Trouble is so many of the keys have to be assigned by me. In many ways that is good in the long run but initially it is a tad frustrating when you want to "jump right in". More importantly, I cannot find the danged enemy. I spent a minute chasing one of my own men until I figured out what the blue letters meant. As Einstein muttered when asked what his theory was about, it is but a matter of time.

Dux, you had IL2. Any helpful observations on finding the enemy and getting the game to recognize my joystick throttle would be much appreciated. The control has been entered but it still does not seem to work when I adjust the throttle. I can adjust speed with the keyboard of course.

We have an excellent IL2 forum here and I have just visited it. I did not post. I'll soon thrash thse tedious set-up issues one way or another and get on with what I really want to do.


Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019