Folks,

According to the HWH chief statistician Marge N. Overra, posting on our thread has fallen off drastically. While Marge N. has never been wrong before I cannot bring myself to accept this is statistically correct. I am however uncertain about this since I was not posting over the period of time the sample was taken.

Dux, I understand why you have been absent and I don't blame you. I ran into Olga yesterday. Fortunately, although my ancient car was a total wreck, Olga was not injured. As she helped me salvage everything that was worth saving (namely my hubcaps, air filter, gas cap and lug wrench) she seemed distracted, perhaps even worried. As we walked away from the site of the accident the wreckage caught fire and, looking back as the car frame collapsed, Olga apologized for my loss.

As you know, it is unusual for Olga to apologize for anything. More often she will blame you for something she just did. I was on dangerous ground. So I did not accept her apology and politely pointed out that it was I who had run into her. She logically argued that at the moment when the accident happened she was actually foolishly walking down the middle of the narrow lane. Still hesitant, I had to admit that she had a good point. To my relief, this apparently pleased her. She slapped me affectionately on the back with a shout of "Tovarich!". All breath left my lungs and, falling to my knees, I dropped a hubcap.

Olga helped me stand and handed me the hubcap. Soon the broad smile drained from her face and as we continued down the lane it became clear to me that Olga was distraught over something. At last, as we'd been walking for about an hour, (I had to walk twice as fast just to keep up with her stride) the floodgates opened and she burst into tears. Believe me when Olga cries it is like the clouds have opened up and things around her get wet in a hurry.

Standing in a growing puddle of tears and mud and fervently praying she wouldn't hug me... to death, I tried my best to soothe her pain and dry her tears. Beginning in Russian and then followed by several other languages, she worked her way down her personal fluency list to English. Olga was broken hearted Dux. The story I heard from her trembling lips indicated that you had recently broken up with her. She could have accepted that she claimed had you not done so the moment she caught you with that bleached blonde ^^*%%$#@@@%^ leather wrapped barmaid %$%^#@^%*$$#@ from the *)^^*$#^ Whipping Lady Pub in ^%*$$# Studley &^%$## Grange. That's precisely how she said it. I was shocked. OK, I should have been shocked but I've known you far too long for that.

Somehow I just knew there had to be more to it than that. I waited patiently until the terrible catharsis finally continued. First, she had cause to fear that she had killed you. When she threw you out the 3rd story window of the Whipping Lady Pub it had been too dark to for her to see where you landed and in what condition.

However Dux, to my infinite surprise, the real reason Olga was beside herself with a soul crushing pain turned out to be that the barmaid in question had betrayed her trust. That barmaid had actually been Olga's significant other. You are lucky to be alive mate and obviously once again you prove to be your own worst enemy.


Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019