First chaps if you will permit me to say, there is only one football team worth speaking of. They wear red, white and blue and go by the name of THE NEW YORK GIANTS.
Z, glad to see you poping in more these days. Let me be clear on a few points. First the Falklands.
I have studied that conflict closely and I was one American who knew the British would triumph from the start. Wasnt the first time you fellows have sailed half way accross the world to kick butt. I was however very surpised about the state of the British military leading up to the war. The Royal navy had to scrap up enough ships to do the job and the carriers were smallish compared to the mighty flattops of WWII. I hadnt been aware until then. Size aside they and the rest of the armed forces went and did the job and did it very well in all.
Thanks for the view from the British side as it relates to Iraq. The press here just underlines the negatives concerning British support for any attack on Saadam. It isnt clear from here whether the English people were in support of the idea. 50/50 isnt as bad as they make it out here and I for one am glad for it. We do not want to go without the British armed forces at our side. The Germans dont appear to be ready to commit troops to combat and that is certainly understandable. The world cant have it both ways there.
As for the French....well there is a running joke here that we should have let the Germans have the place or since it's to late for that, we should give it back to them. I quite agree. Their inflexible position couldn't have anything to do with the billions in contracts they have in Iraq would it?.
I too am hesitant on the whole thing. After all, our preseident declared a war against terror and he hasnt done enough in my view to make the case that the insect terrorists are being housed or helped by Iraq. I beleive they are but we havent focused on it enoung IMO. The main reason given is his Saadams pursuit of weapons of mass destruction, his treatment of his own people and his inability to conform to prior UN resolutions. All true but not as important to me as if he is indeed helping Bin Laden or others.
I suppose we'll see soon enough.
Off to shoot up a few 109's this evening. Had a great time playing BOB a bit last night. In one mission (my last of the evening)we took down a good number bombers and some escorts. I helped take down a HE111, then flamed a 109. Afterward I was hit from the side and took a lot of damage to my Spitfire. Nursed it 50 miles home only to dip a wing on landing and flip tail over nose twice and explode. Damn!