You've been a busy fellow in the air. Outside of commercial and private jets and several flights in private prop driven craft with friends who are pilots I haven't flown all that much. I took private pilot lessons when I was just out of school but never soloed. I once had a chance at a ride in a beautifully restored bright yellow Steerman biplane. There was only one opportunity and my son wanted to go so desperately, naturally, I let him go up instead of me. I found it is odd when a father envies his son.
Like so many fellows my age, the first small plane I ever flew in was a Piper Cub. A pilot buddy and I used to rent a Piper Cherokee and take turns practicing touch and goes now and again down at the old airport. He was a qualified instructor and had every pilot ticket a civilian can get. Failing at business, he just got up one morning and joined the Navy. This was only days before he would have been too old to be accepted. His first visit home all he could talk about was Naval aviation and making landings on a carrier at night. He loved the Navy. Although he really wanted to fly something else he found himself flying the A-3 Skwarrior and the A-6 Intruder. Tragically, he was killed soon after I saw him last while engaged in a flight training mission.
I have never flown in any type of sail plane or glider. I came a bit close once. We were at sufficient altitude one day to cut the engine and glide a bit. I think the glide ratio in that particular aircraft was about 9 to 1. It got a bit too quiet for me while we looked for a suitable open field. I have to admit that although gliding was a pleasant enough experience I was very happy when the Lycoming engine was easily re-started.
SNAFU:
I received your e-mail and I am delighted that you like the plans for the new Canadian Anti-Draft Dodger monument. Thank you for your kind words regarding my graphics. The monument will be carved from a single slab of flawless, white marble and will depict a single hand with all its fingers drawn into a fist save the middle digit which will be raised in a universally recognizable gesture. Clever, eh?
As soon as your personal check for $125,000 arrives, C51 will begin chipping away at that old marble-looking rock in his back yard....wait, I mean we will spare no expense and hire another very talented artist to begin sculpting.
Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044
"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"
CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019