"The Sun has got his Hat on, hip-hip-hip-hoorayh! The Sun has got his hat on and he's coming out Today!"
These words might not mean a lot to you gents across the pond but OldDux probably recognises the words (not from original release but from subsequent radio broadcasts I hasten to add), as they made up the refrain in a popular song; One of Ralph Butler & Noel Gay's collaborations, rendered by crooner Sam Browne with the incomparable Ambrose Band. It is from 1932 so of course the lyrics are dated and non pc in places. Even Afro-Americans and people living on the Equator can get a tan if they don't get out of the midday sun.
I did manage to check out the BoB docu that you recommended Roger and it turns out that I had already seen it. A very fine documentary to memorialise the BoB hosted by the Brothers Colin and Ewan MacGregor, one an actor, the other a former RAF pilot from 617 Squadron. Good interviews with surviving members of the Battle.
Ingmar F. Bergman. Wiki states; "His work often dealt with death, illness, faith, betrayal, bleakness and insanity". How wonderfully uplifting. No gents, I can just observe reality if I want to engage in thoughts about death, illness, faith, betrayal, bleakness and insanity. Asides, living in such close proximity to Sweden and relying on only one TV-channel, state-owned at that, and featuring jazz-loving, pipe smoking intellectuals as hosts, wearing tweed, corduroy and cashmere on-screen in the late sixties and early seventies extolling the virtues of said Bergman, at a young age I decided not to have anything to do with Bergman. Visually unmemorable and with little humour to soften the blows as I recollect his work. Just the lines from the Seventh Seal as they are being expressed in the Swedish language sound ridiculous; "Who are you?" "I am death". Oh well, why don't we have a game of chess then.
I wonder what would have happened, if Bergman had gone to Hollywood. Would he have made for lighter viewing? Lubitsch, Wilder, Bergman. The eclectic avantgarde pop duo Sparks dedicated a whole album of music to explore the potential of such a scenario in their opus; "The Seduction of Ingmar Bergman".
Someone coming to blows yesterday were A. Joshua and W. Klitschko . What a fight! Especially Rounds 5. 6 and 7 were intense, and of course, the conclusion to the fight.