Well, we have just about the only June 30th we will be likely to enjoy for this annum. I don't know what is happening today that we will remember years from now (for those of us who actually have years from now) but in 1860 the famous debate on Charles Darwin's theory of evolution held at the Oxford University Museum and dominated by arguments between Thomas Henry Huxley and Bishop Samuel Wilberforce took place. No, I was not there at the time. Dux may have been. In 1934 the "Night of Long Knives" took place when Hitler stages a bloody purge of the Nazi party. And possibly most importantly of all, in 1938 Superman 1st appears in DC Comics' Action Comics Series issue #1. Shazam! Who among us remembers Captain Marvel?
At 11:30 Am we have 83°F. with an 8 mph wind from the SW and a reported visibility of 10m. We have thus begun the risk of taking a deep breath and drowninga as the humidity level is 67% and rising. Please pass the underarm spray... Fittop, you win the dubious honor of claiming the first century temp. We have not experienced higher than 95°F. so far this year. That is coming here, however, and all too soon. The cattails are high in the little spring that runs by the lovely Willows and behind our house. The mixed chorus of frogs and crickets rings out each nigh. Soon they will be joined by the deep rasp of molting Cicadas mating in the trees. Hot weather is upon us.
Every patriotic American loves a J. P. Sousa march, right? Well, we are gearing up for the Fourth and I just heard "The Stars and Stripes Forever" on the radio. That always stirs me. I guess one of the reasons why is because in Elementary School all us kids marched into the auditorium past the American and NC state flags with that tune loudly playing on the intercom system. I don't suppose they still do that kind of thing today. Too patriotic perhaps. Someone who hates what we stand for or whose parent's politics might cause their kids to be offended. They must be protected. I hope I am wrong about that one.
For those of you like my son who played the game "Starcraft" in the late 90s, "Starcraft Remastered" is about to be released. It is reported to be a blend of the old game and a modernized version. There is even a button for making the gameplay and the look like the old game. You can find info here: