TGIF. That doesn't mean as much to me as it used to when I was a working slob. Now I'm just a slob.So far, this Friday has been only partly sunny. The current temp is 65° F. and the humidity is a very damp 94%.We are way better off then Ireland where Ophelia is apparently headed. It would be the worst storm to hit the Emerald Isle since the 60's. I have several Irish friends who are no doubt reasonably concerned for relatives.
Speaking of the Irish, and someone just did, I have always found them a friendly, sociable lot when encountered over here. I have yet to meet an Irishman who could not and would not happily drink me under any table I specified. And most of them swore on a stack of bar napkins they have, at one time or another, seen one or more of the "Little People".Perhaps both those things kinda go together, the drinking and the seeing?
I love listening to a good Irish brogue. I did not mean to indicate I can actually interpret all the words you see, but I do love to listen to it. I have not met many Scots but those I have who maintain something of their mother tongue are fascinating to listen to as well. Like the Irish, many Scots migrated to America. Unlike the Irish, who seemed to prefer the north, the Scots came to NC in droves and settled in our western mountains. There is a large annual celebration held there featuring Scottish Games.
Yes, LeRoy, one favorite game the Scots often seem to practice is imbibing strong drink. I understand that they are darn good at it too. I can see why. I have found that the whiskey they produce over there is excellent. I believe I would enjoy sitting down at a favorite pub with an Irishman and a Scotsman just to listen to them talk, or ladies would do just as well I am sure. Possibly we'd drink Scotch or Irish whiskey, maybe both. THe result would be exactly the same with either. Naturally, at some point in the proceedings, and long before either of my friends even noticed the slightest buzz, I would be legless, under the table, and blissfully off to dreamland. Not a condition Dux has no experience with I would bet.
Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044
"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"
CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019