Folks,

Today should be sunny with a high of 79 °F (26.1 °C). Winds from S to SSW at 4 to 11 mph (6.4 to 17.7 kph). I discovered that the tornado that touched down near Greensboro was the one that caused the fatality. The second tornado touched down a lot closer. Not too far from where I type this. But thankfully it was far enough. It struck between us and Wendell, NC. Wendell is twenty-three miles west on Hwy. 264.

I am sorry to see former First Lady Barbara Bush has passed away. No, I did not know her personally. And yet, right or wrong, I liked what I knew about her. I've recently read, as you may have, many nice things said about her. I think her personality came through when she was interviewed over the years. One person who knew her well called her "salty". I'll think of her that way too, with a big smile when I do.

Quotes:

To the Wellesley College graduating class: "At the end of your life, you will never regret not having passed one more test, not winning one more verdict or not closing one more deal. You will regret time not spent with a husband, a friend, children, or a parent." (June 1,1990)

Her advice to Hillary Rodham Clinton about handling reporters as first lady: "Avoid this crowd like the plague. And if they quote you, make damn sure they heard you." (Aug. 24, 1992)

On son Jeb running for the Republican presidential nomination in 2016: "There are other people out there that are very qualified and we've had enough Bushes." (April 25, 2013)


Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019