Folks,

According to the screenies I saw on the EAW site it has continued to be updated at least through 2011. I clicked on the link to the Lanc photos and found them to be interesting indeed.

Having recently seen the author deliver a fascinating talk on C-Span; I have been reading a bit of Dr. Eric Topol's book "The Creative Destruction of Medicine". It is an interesting read. Due to technical advances there is a brave new world of medicine coming if we and the health care, insurance and medical community embrace it. One simple example: The iconic symbol of medicine, the stethoscope, can now, and it is argued should be, replaced with a small ultra-sound device that gives far more data and in in visual form. Dr. Topol hasn't used a stethoscope in 2 years.

Are you fellows aware that scientists are now able to scan a subject's brain and map the activity, if there is any, probably not in my case? You probably knew that since I did. But were you also aware (I wasn't) that they can process that digital data in such a way that it can be transmitted and shown on a color monitor in video form? What is seen is a visual representation of what the subject was seeing when scanned.

They are said to be able to represent what the subject was hearing at the time their brain was scanned as well. The representation I saw on TV was rather poor and blurry however other than color, it was not unlike what was seen on prototype TV screens years ago. I understand that they are quickly perfecting the process.

This is definitely food for thought.


Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019