Folks,
Dux:

Best wishes for your brother's swift recovery.

I am pleased that you have little flooding problems where you are. There is still flooding going on here as a result of Matthew. Trees are down and the cleanup continues. Some are still homes without power and many secondary roads are blocked either by damage to the road itself due to the flooding. The great north south artery I-95 still has detours.

Some schools and businesses are still closed. Some businesses will not reopen others are still being assessed. A regionally famous and long standing BBQ restaurant will not reopen. The man who built it into a multi million dollar operation is incapacitated due to illness and his young wife just took the insurance money and does not plan to reopen. Many families are still hurting. We were lucky. If additional rain holds off a bit longer things will return to what passes for normal in due time.

I'm fighting a ridiculous battle with my phone network provider. They failed to take the monthly tariff off my card last night and now I cannot make a call. Checking my card transactions I find the correct amount of the usual transaction is listed as "pending" though there is and was plenty of cash on hand. The stupid part is I cannot call my carrier and get the problem resolved. Looks like I will have to go to the phone store. It is absurd and a real inconvenience to do that today. First I'll try using my son's phone but that will mean I must wait until he gets off work.

Something similar to this happened last month and I had to go to the store. They fixed the problem, apologized, and I was out of there within the hour. I nearly switched carriers then. I very well may do that today. I will however wait to hear what their explanation is and see how swiftly and painlessly they fix the problem.

Just another one of life's inconveniences in the technical age. I remember when a phone was just a phone and it always worked if you paid the bill. If in the unlikely event there was a problem you could get it fixed pronto without even once having a difficult conversation with someone who's native tongue was not English. wink


Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019