Folks,

A sunny Sunday here in my section of the woods. The temp. at 72°F. at 9 AM. The high is expected to be 81°F. At the moment we have a humidity of 78% and there is an 8 mph wind from the NE.

Fittop:

We are pleased your family and your neighbors are ok. I've read that some areas have already received up to 40" of rainfall! From experience, I'd say Texas will be fortunate if after it is all over there is only one casualty though we regret the one and pray there are no more. Keep us informed. Flooding is always the most deadly part of these huge storms. We simply don't seem to accept the fact that even several inches of moving water are quite powerful. Basically, if you don't wish to drown, turn around.

You may well notice my typing will improve tomorrow or Tuesday. My new laptop will arrive from Amazon sometime tomorrow. It wasn't expensive and it isn't a gaming computer though they called it that. I just got tired of this tiny screen and the lack of speed and memory. It is a 2009 computer after all and I have enjoyed having it. But the battery needs replacing and my eyes are struggling these days so, by 8 PM I expect to see a UPS truck pull in the drive. I realize that an $800 computer would have meant more bang for the buck but since I am looking at a true gaming computer from Digital Storm (thanks, Fittop) that should fulfill all my wildest gaming needs for a major investment (for me anyway) of $4K, so I paid half as much for the 17" laptop as I might for a gaming laptop design.

In truth, the $4K is only part of it because I will also need a good joystick hotas system, rudder pedals, and Track IR. And I may upgrade the Nvidia card and the OS in the package as offered. Frankly, I am not sure which card. Maybe 8GB will be more than enough. That is so much more than I've ever had it is hard to imagine needing more. I do want Win 10 Pro rather than home simply because that is what I had previously. I'll research it to see if there is much difference. Maybe one of you know already? I've wanted a real gaming computer for years and years but first, my wife got sick and then most recently my son so I just could not justify it. Frankly, I even feel a little guilty spending this much on myself for something I simply want and do not actually have to have. No doubt, since I'll be 73 in September these will be the last computers I buy. I started my affair with computers by buying my first computer back in the 80s.

Once I came close to getting a real gaming computer. When I got it home and loaded my games on it I found the ones that ran did so at 3 times the normal speed. It was no time at all however before I found new games for sale that my computer could not run at all. To my dismay, it was already somewhat obsolete without upgrading.


Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019