SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#4686850 09/30/26 07:36 PM
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 353
Veteran
Member
Veteran
Member
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 353
After about 5 years of playing RPGs the closest I have come to flying is the very easy Starfield. I would like to start with flight sims again. However I would like it relatively simple with a great story or career mode. I am looking for something that while it needs a joystick I don’t need to memorize a very large number of keys or switches in order to enjoy the game. As I want enjoy getting back online and slow7work my way back into the hobby I don’t want to get frustrated with it initially. I am open and welcoming any suggestions.


“We are what we repeatably do, therefore excellence is not an act but a habit” Aristotle
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 26,094
Likes: 169
O
Administrator
Lifer
Administrator
Lifer
O Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 26,094
Likes: 169
Which ones have you already flown ?


Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,498
Likes: 36
F
I'm just a
Senior Member
I'm just a
Senior Member
F Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,498
Likes: 36
It depends on the era of flight you're looking for.

I've enjoyed all eras of flight sims at one time or another. So the easiest way to start back up is going with WWI era crates...no radars or complex button layouts to memorize. ROF or WOFF if you already owned them is an easier time getting back in the saddle. I still fly the old Red Baron 3D occasionally for the immersive career mode. (If you can handle older graphics)

WWII would be next up on deck and then on to more modern era sims. Since you are looking for something relatively simple with a great story or career mode...I would say DCS is off the table since they still haven't figured out an immersive career mode yet. It's mostly an airframe skirmish simulator.

What sims do you already own?


Asus TUF Z790 DDR5 plus Wifi
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Intel I7 14700k
32gb Ripjaws DDR5 @6000MHz
Nividia 5060 TI OC 16gb
2 NVMe and various Sata SSD drives 6tb
1200watt Seasonic Vertex PSU
______________________________________________________

Oddball from Kelly's Heroes: "If we're late, it's cause we're dead"



Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 353
Veteran
Member
Veteran
Member
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 353
While my pc is in the shop getting an upgrade to RAM, I will try to remember. I did play RoF for about a year, I did buy WOFF and IL2 but never played it. I think I own 1946 and another WW1 game. I also remember that somewhere I have a copy of the F-16 game. That is about all I can remember off the top of my white haired head. Some where I even have one of the head trackers but after 5 years or so playing Bethesda games, the Witcher and Starfield (L90) I have forgotten even the basics. Maybe after starting back on something with a good story I can get Re engaged in flight sims.


“We are what we repeatably do, therefore excellence is not an act but a habit” Aristotle
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 26,094
Likes: 169
O
Administrator
Lifer
Administrator
Lifer
O Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 26,094
Likes: 169
European Air War (EAW) is always worth a try. Old graphics, but a good game.

Go to the EAW sub-forum here and see if that might interest you. The regulars there will help you through any issues.

Wings Over Flanders Field (WOFF) is another good one. Again check the sub-forum here.


Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
Joined: Oct 2024
Posts: 3,683
Likes: 104
T
Senior Member
Senior Member
T Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2024
Posts: 3,683
Likes: 104
Maybe consider some older legacy sims like Falcon 4 BMS, Il2 1946 with BAT, Battle of Britain II v2.13, Hind, EECH Alllmods, B-17 Redux, Gunship, and as OG mentioned EAW is a good one. Strike Fighters and many more. WOFF and WOTR are also a great choice.

Last edited by Terl9999; Yesterday at 12:37 AM.
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 353
Veteran
Member
Veteran
Member
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 353
That is a lot of choices, many of which I know nothing about. Is there any one or two besides EAW that you would recommend?


“We are what we repeatably do, therefore excellence is not an act but a habit” Aristotle
Joined: Oct 2024
Posts: 3,683
Likes: 104
T
Senior Member
Senior Member
T Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2024
Posts: 3,683
Likes: 104
If I had to only recommend a few for a beginner it would be WOFF / WOTR and maybe Xplane. Good luck on your quest Snow46. Like OG said EAW is a real good one too.


Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
J-B Weld
by Terl9999 - 10/02/26 11:54 PM
Cydonia Mars
by Terl9999 - 10/01/26 07:22 AM
Steam vs GOG
by Terl9999 - 09/30/26 09:04 PM
It has been a long absence
by Snow46 - 09/30/26 07:36 PM
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,078,858 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1