Well, it has been a couple of days and I can cheerfully report that page 1 of the original HWH has been gleaned of all its stories including the first posts of SNAFU, Bader, JRT and Old Dux to name but a few.
I don't know if it is the large number of stories on the initial page of the new thread or the fact that I am re-reading everything first but it is taking a lot of time. Yes, I anticipated that it would.
I copy the story from the SimHq archives, paste it into MS Word, change the type font from Verdana 8 pt. to Arial 12 pt. so everything is uniform. I correct all obvious spelling and formatting errors.
Early on, so few posters bothered to title their stories. I must therefore read the story (the easiest part) and determine a likely title. Then I add a header at the top of every story with the title, author's name, a line noting that this was posted on the original HWH, the SimHQ/HWH page number and the date the story was posted. Then I create a folder for the author and save that story and all subsequent stories to that folder.
It is actually fun at this point. This might change slightly in about a hundred pages. We'll see. I wrote a lot of stories way back then and mercifully, don't have to bother with my own. Too bad for you folks, they were always archived.
Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044
"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"
CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019