OG: I've been meaning to ask. What do you think of the Uberti clones? Principally the 1873 Colt replicas in .45 caliber. They a fraction of the cost of a REAL SAA Colt and are reputed to look and shoot great. They are supposed to have the 4-click sound of an original Colt being cocked and for the most part are (or were) true in appearance to the original. The internals are probably not up to Colt's standards.
Yet I have recently seen a YouTube video claiming changes have been made without notifying customers and they are perhaps safer but less authentic. They have replaced the transfer bar (never on a real Colt) with a floating firing pin (also never on a real Colt). You can now carry 6 rather than the usual 5 cartridges relatively safely in the cylinder for one thing. That would be carrying six without fear of losing a few toes. That might be only on the Cattleman II. Some say all their SAA guns have been altered.
There are many more mfg. for these popular guns than Italian Uberti, including Colt. I once owned a reproduction Colt Navy I enjoyed shooting. I would love to have a real 1873 or 1905 Army Colt but $2,000+ bucks seems a bit steep for my pocketbook and the amount of target shooting I do these days. 🤠
Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044
"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"
CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019