Folks:

After a very long swim in the Channel; I am once more returned to our happy Hall. It is most gratifying to find everyone still kicking, hale and hearty. Even more gratifying perhaps to find some booze left in the bar, Dux.

After a major crash and melt-down I'm using a brand-new SOTA laptop for my evil shenanigans. It has been instructive if a bit frustrating at times getting to know a new computer and the latest OS all at the same time. I've loaded most of my old sims and managed some minor magic getting them running on Win 8.1. Like all MS OS it has its quirks. It loses my USB joystick every time it shuts down. That is a known flaw. I'm researching a fix that does not require tweaking and fiddling with the registry. A minor irritation. All I have to do when this happens is go into the control panel and re-identify the joystick. Then it works until the next shut-down.

I've saved the best to last I guess. WOV. Now I must load WOV and then patch it. Most of the patches were unavailable to me using XP. Any suggestions?

And, yes, I am considering trying to run ROF and COD. They are both listed as incompatible with Win 8x however I know people are doing it. I found a copy of COD on Amazon for 13 bucks so it isn't much of a risk. I don't like the idea that ROF requires a continuous Internet connection even for single player mode. Yes, I realize it is principally a multi-player game but I don't like being forced to do that. I have never used STEAM either and prefer to have an actual disk for backup. OK, maybe I'm unrealistic and senile if you like but I've had years to develop my intractable, stubborn, archaic nature and I'm comfortable with it. wink

Good screenies Dux
Fittop:

I'm so glad to find my fellow American present. Forgive me if I've missed something in the dialog regarding "Star Gazer" for I have not read all the posts I've missed.

As you know, Horkheimer passed away a few years ago. I've missed his program ever since. The fellow was a rather strange looking dude complete with toupee. He seemed to know his stuff however and really made astronomy interesting. My grand kids would have enjoyed the program. However it came on rather late in the evening here on UNC TV/PBS. I wonder why no one has filled the vacancy? Perhaps they have and our station does not carry it?

Hmmmmm. I'm just wondering aloud here mates, if I can manage to return twice from a watery grave, why can't our Fearless Founder SNAFU also manage it? wink Gulp! You don't think he's really um "Had it" do you?


Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019