Folks,

After the lobotomization of my computer and going through the anguish and heartbreak of the terrible malady known as the Cyber DTs; I am once more coming to you live. Something my grandson did put the computer into an infinite loop that defied my shutting the computer down in any of the prescribed manners. I thought it must be a virus since a program titler 'helpdesk.exe' was trying to load and being shut down by me over and over. It just popped back up again each time. Finally in desperation I hit the flush button. That didn't work either. After a while I reached around back of the tower, took hold of the power cord, shut my eyes, gritted my teeth and pulled the plug.

That shut it down. Had that not done so this story would likely be coming to you from a much different source. When I tried to re-boot I got the dreaded 'blue screen of death'. Nothing I tried including my most savage and obscene curse words had the desired effect. I know my limits. I cut everything off and went off to bed still muttering. Today I managed to get the system up and running with the help of a friend and all is back to what passeth for normal around here.

I see that I missed nothing much while I was cut off. Without my computer I found that I managed to occupy my hungry, restless mind with other things, other tasks. I read, I completed chores, I watched several classic movies starring Burt Lancaster on TCM. Staying busy kept my mind off my recently deceased computer most of the time. Walking past this room, dark without the pleasant glow of the monitor was however continually reminding and depressing.

Standing here all alone in HWH Hall; I have offered myself a pint and heartily welcomed me back. wink


Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019