I have a lot of respect for Josef Newgarden.
Recounting the events from his perspective and as I understand his statement, apparently there is no check nor technical preventative measures to ensure that push 2 pass can only be activated when and where it is allowed, ie the system works on Gentleman’s honour.
This could as far as I know be plausible and certainly this could be checked and corraborated.
Somehow his garage had convinced themselves that p2p was allowed where it was in fact not.
Why Indycar would not ensure technical measures or at least clear concise documentation at drivers’ meetings to prevent such misunderstandings ocurring might be an area to investigate and improve upon. Additionally, the team ought to have this information at hand; pit speed limits, tires that must be used and crucially; when application of p2p is allowed.
I can totally see why Scotty Mac would emulate his Bus Bro Newgarden if he had access to that erroneous interpretation of the rules, and also why Power would perhaps have his own interpretation of the rules, while not knowing about what Josef and possibly Scotty Mac were thinking.
Typing it out here intending to convince myself that is was all just a massive mistake, a faux-pass and a gargantuan brain fade, I must admit that I’m not really successful in doing that.
On to Barber!
Last edited by McGonigle; 04/26/24 07:55 PM.